|COLONEL DAVID M. COHEN|
Colonel David M. Cohen is the vice commander, 6th Air Mobility Wing, MacDill Air Force Base, Florida. As vice commander, he assists the wing commander in leading more than 3,000 people, overseeing base property and capital assets totaling more than $2.8 billion, and controlling an annual budget exceeding $249 million. The wing's overall mission is to provide worldwide air refueling and combatant commander airlift support in addition to the support of Headquarters U.S Central Command, Headquarters U.S. Special Operations Command, and 51 other mission partners that call MacDill home.
Colonel Cohen hails from Omaha, Nebraska, where he graduated from Burke High School and entered the Air Force in 1987 as a distinguished graduate of the Air Force ROTC program at Boston University. He was also a distinguished graduate of the U.S. Air Force Air Command and Staff College.
During his Air Force career Colonel Cohen has held command positions at the squadron level and is a command pilot, with more than 2,500 hours in the KC-135R/T, T-37B and T-38A, including combat and combat support missions in Operations RESTORE HOPE, PROVIDE COMFORT, SOUTHERN WATCH, IRAQI FREEDOM, ENDURING FREEDOM, AND NOBLE EAGLE. In addition to his command experience, Colonel Cohen served as the Aide-de-Camp to the Director, National Imagery and Mapping Agency, served as an Operational War Planner in the J-7 Directorate of the Joint Staff, and was a National Defense Fellow at the Institute for Defense Analyses, participating in a number of studies and co-authoring a paper on future Air Force structure and engagement.
Prior to assuming his current position, Colonel Cohen served as the Commander of Detachment 5, Air Force Operational Test and Evaluation Center, Edwards AFB, Calif. overseeing the operational testing of aircraft and aircraft systems.
1987 Bachelor of Science degree in aerospace engineering, Boston University, Boston, Mass.
1991 Master of Science degree in industrial engineering, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, N.M.
1993 Squadron Officers School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2000 Masters of Arts degree in military operational arts and sciences, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2000 Air Command and Staff College, distinguished graduate, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003 Air War College, by seminar
2008 National Defense Fellow, Institute for Defense Analyses, Alexandria, Va.
1. January 1988 - December 1990, laser system engineer, Air Force Weapons Laboratory, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
2. December 1990 - December 1991, student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance AFB, Okla.
3. January 1991 - July 1991, student, Initial Qualification Course, KC-135 Combat Crew Training School, Castle AFB, Calif.
4. August 1991 - May 1992, pilot, KC-135 and T-37 aircraft, 42nd Air Refueling Squadron, Loring AFB, Maine
5. May 1992 - September 1994, pilot, KC-135 and T-37 aircraft, 11th Air Refueling Squadron, Altus AFB, Okla.
6. October 1994 - December 1994, student, Pilot Upgrade Program, KC-135 Combat Crew Training School, Castle AFB, Calif.
7. January 1995 - January 1996, KC-135 Aircraft commander and Chief of Squadron Scheduling, 350th Air Refueling Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
8. February 1996 - February 1998, KC-135 Aircraft Commander and Chief of Wing Long-Range Scheduling, 22nd Operations Support Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
9. March 1998 - November 1998, KC-135 instructor pilot and Chief of Training, 344th Air Refueling Squadron, McConnell AFB, Kan.
10. December 1998 - August 1999, KC-135 instructor pilot and executive officer, 22nd Operations Group, McConnell AFB, Kan.
11. August 1999 - June 2000, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
12. July 2000 - October 2000, military liaison, National Imagery and Mapping Agency, Bethesda, Md.
13. October 2000 - October 2001, aide-de-camp to the Director, National Imagery and Mapping Agency, Bethesda, Md.
14. October 2001 - April 2004, operational war planner, Operational Plans and Joint Force Development Directorate (J-7), Joint Staff, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
15. April 2004 - July 2004, student, KC-135 Requalification Course, 97th Air Mobility Wing, Altus AFB, Okla.
16. July 2004 - June 2005, Chief of Safety, 6th Air Mobility Wing, MacDill AFB, Fla.
17. June 2005 - April 2007, Commander, 91st Air Refueling Squadron, MacDill AFB, Fla.
18. April 2007 - June 2007, Assistant to the Director of Staff, 6th Air Mobility Wing, MacDill AFB, Fla.
19. July 2007 - June 2008, National Defense Fellow, Institute for Defense Analyses, Alexandria, Va.
20. May 2008 - September 2009, Commander, Detachment 5, Air Force Operational Test and Evaluation Center, Edwards AFB, Calif.
21. September 2009 - present, Vice Commander, 6th Air Mobility Wing, MacDill AFB, Fla.
Rating: Senior pilot
Flight Hours: More than 2,500
Aircraft Flown: KC-135R/T, T-37B, T-38A and C-12
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Sept. 15, 1987
First Lieutenant Sept. 15, 1989
Captain Sept. 15, 1991
Major April 1, 1999
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2003
Colonel July 1, 2008