Col Adam D. Bingham is the Commander, 6th Air Refueling Wing, MacDill Air Force Base, Florida. As Commander, he is responsible for the Wing’s worldwide combat air refueling mission and provides installation support to Headquarters U.S. Central Command, Headquarters U.S. Special Operations Command and 31 other Joint mission partners. As the Commander, he is responsible for the security and well-being of the Base’s 16,900 employees and their families, along with $2.8 billion in Base property and capital assets.
A graduate of Officer Training School, Col Bingham entered the Air Force in 2002 after graduating from Weber State University. Following OTS, he attended Undergraduate Pilot Training. He is a graduate of the Army War College and is a former Air Force Fellow.
Prior to taking his current position, he served as the Operations Group Commander for the largest pilot training base in the world. He is a former Division Chief, J4, Directorate for Logistics, Joint Staff, Pentagon, Washington, D.C. where he supported the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff by synchronizing the development, assessment, and implementation of joint logistics policy and guidance. Col Bingham has commanded at the Group and Squadron levels and is a command pilot with over 3,700 flight hours and over 900 combat hours in support of Operations IRAQI FREEDOM and ENDURING FREEDOM.
2002 Bachelor of Arts, Communications/Public Relations, Weber State University, Ogden, Utah
2004 Undergraduate Pilot Training, Moody Air Force Base, Ga., and Columbus AFB, Miss., Distinguished Graduate
2008 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala. Distinguished Graduate, Commandant’s Leadership Award Recipient
2008 Master of Arts, Executive Leadership, University of Oklahoma, Norman
2011 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2014 Air Force Fellow, Strategic Policy, Washington, D.C.
2019 Master of Arts, Strategic Studies, Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
1. October 2002–September 2003, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Moody Air Force Base, Georgia
2. September 2003–April 2004, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus AFB, Miss.
3. August 2004–July 2008, C-17 Instructor Pilot and Executive Officer, 14th Airlift Squadron, Joint Base Charleston, S.C.
4. July 2008–April 2010, C-17 Formal Training Unit Instructor, 58th Airlift Squadron and Executive Officer to the Commander, 97th Operations Group, Altus AFB, Okla.
5. April 2010–April 2011, Flight Commander Aircrew Flight Equipment and Evaluator Pilot, 97th Operations Support Squadron, Altus AFB, Okla.
6. May 2011–June 2012, Flight Commander Intel and Instructor Pilot, Phoenix Mobility Officer, 21st Air Mobility Operations Squadron, Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, New Jersey
7. June 2012–June 2013, Director-Wing Plans and Programs and Instructor Pilot, Phoenix Mobility Officer, 621st Contingency Response Wing, JB McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, New Jersey
8. July 2013–May 2014, Air Force Fellow, Department of Transportation, Washington D.C. (Previously served in the Chairman’s Action Group, Joint Staff, Pentagon)
9. May 2014–May 2016, Aide-de-Camp to the CDR, UNC/CFC/USFK, Yongsan, South Korea
10. June 2016–June 2018, Commander, 14th Airlift Squadron, JB Charleston, S.C.
11. July 2018–June 2019, Student, Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
12. June 2019–July 2020, Division Chief, The Joint Staff, Directorate for Logistics (J4), Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
13. July 2020–July 2022, Commander, 47th Operations Group, Laughlin AFB, Texas
14. July 2022-Present, Commander, 6th Air Refueling Wing, MacDill AFB, Florida
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. May 2014–May 2016, Aide-de-Camp to the CDR, UNC/CFC/USFK, Yongsan, South Korea, as a major and lieutenant colonel.
2. June 2018–July 2020, Divison Chief, The Joint Staff, Directorate for Logistics (J4), Pentagon, Washinton, D.C., as a colonel
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: more than 3,700 hours
Aircraft flown: KC-135, T-6, T-38, T-1, and C-17
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Sept. 27, 2002
First Lieutenant Sept. 27, 2004
Captain Sept. 27, 2006
Major Oct. 1, 2012
Lieutenant Colonel Jan. 1, 2016
Colonel Mar. 1, 2020
(Current as of July 2022)