The 6th Air Mobility Wing traces its roots indirectly back to the early years of American military aviation when its predecessor was organized in 1919. Initially named the 3rd Observation Group, the unit was re-designated as the 6th Composite Group in 1922 and assigned to France Field, Panama Canal Zone.
MacDill Air Force Base is located seven miles south of Tampa, Florida, on the southwestern tip of the interbay peninsula in Hillsborough County. This area once had been used as a military staging area during the Spanish-American War but did not become a military installation until much later. In 1939, the War Department selected Tampa to receive one of several new military air fields and worked out arrangements for the transfer of the land.
Mr. Stephen Ove
6th Air Refueling Wing Historian
8208 Hangar Loop Drive Bldg. 299, Rm 16
MacDill Air Force Base, FL., 33621
Comm: 813-828-5780/DSN: 968-5780
Base Operator: 813-828-1110